Saturday, February 02, 2008

Waxing Nostalgic...or should it be Knitting Nostalgic

This is a very special day for me.

Back on this day in 1906, a very special person came into this world. She was here for 98 years. I lost the joy of having her around back in 2004 and have been missing her oh so much ever since.

She was Caroline....and she was my grandmother.

I learned many important things from her...

Be fearless - don't worry about getting hurt or scraping your knees. Despite what my mom wanted, the tomboy in me always came out - I wonder where I got it....? (hint - she is the one on top!)

Embrace who you really are; dance to the beat of your own drum
- don't worry about what others think the 'norm' is. I wonder how much of a scandal this was when she brought it home....and boy was she a hottie!!!

Love fiercely and with all your heart - this was her lifelong sweetheart. I can only hope I will be as lucky....

Embrace all that life throws at you - you can handle anything that comes your way.

And the most important thing she taught me (and my father when he was a little boy).... the joy of playing with sticks and string!

Back when I was 11 or 12, I was smitten with a certain Brit - Tom Baker to be exact. Every Saturday, I would work in my dad's office as a receptionist and after we closed the office each week, we would go get Jack in the Box taco's and go home to watch Space 1999 and Dr Who. Well, I developed a crush on Dr Who and decided I needed a Dr Who-esque scarf....like this one....

The image “http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/01/Bakert.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

So Caroline taught me to knit. And this was my first fo!

Pretty basic. 4 different yarns, 6.5 feet of stockinette stitch and ribbed edges. Damn good job weaving in the ends. Looking at it now, I actually did a damn good job. Even if it is acrylic.

Caroline was even better....here are some of her fo's:

A vest

A dress

A wrap

A cardigan

Are you getting the idea she liked cables?

No matter what I am making, every time I pick up the needles, I feel just a little closer to her and it makes me feel like she is here with me while I work on my wip.

Caroline - I cherish all the time I had with you .... and I still miss you every day.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

That was beautiful. What great treasures she left you with.

Enid said...

This was a really great post. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful thing with us.

Amysatx said...

What a nice way to honor her memory.

Unknown said...

Sounds like she was a fantastic woman. I can definitely see her imprint on you.