Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Whip it up Wednesday!!!

This is a new feature for the blog...I hope you like it!!

Each Weds, I am going to highlight something yummy that I have 'whipped up' in the kitchen. And in most cases it will be pretty frugal in cost and time for prep.

Last week it was PIE, cherry PIE! This week it is a different kind of pie.

QUICHE! (pronounced kwichie- then it is not so frou-frou).

OK - so here is the recipe....(I cannot always promise a recipe)

1 box Pills#ury ready to make pie crust, thawed
1 pkg chorizo or sage breakfast sausage
1 1/2 c sharp cheddar cheese
1 c chopped onions (I used green onions today)
mushrooms (if you want - I was not in the mood today)
garlic powder (to taste)
paprika
4 eggs
1 c whole milk

Preheat oven to 450

Unroll one pie crust and put in pan. Tuck the extra crust under and smoosh the rim of the crust. Prick sides and bottom. Bake 10 min. Let pie crust cool.

While crust is baking, cook sausage. Drain. Let cool. Once cool, mix with the onions, cheese, garlic powder.

Spoon sausage mixture into pie crust. (if you have alot of meat - you can increase cheese and onions and make two quiches... and you will need to make another batch of egg/milk. I did that tonight...well, tried to - the 2nd crust sorta shrank during the pre-baking process - so it was a really small quiche - it still cooked for 50 min.)

Whip eggs and milk together (I use my La Machine - whipping for 45 seconds). Pour over mixture in crust. Lightly sprinkle paprika over egg/sausage mixture in crust (helps it to get nice and brown - did you know that is how to get your turkey really browned - use paprika all over it - sorry, I digress).

Bake for 50 min at 325. Let cool 10 min. Serve. Enjoy.

Here is the pretty quiche.... I was worried it would not turn out since the crust cracked and alot of the egg mixture seeped below the crust - but it worked out fine!!


Here is the side view - see the egg against the pie pan...

Here is the sad little one I made for my dinner.

Total cost - approx $9.00 for two quiches...
Chorizo $2.00, 6 eggs 1.09, 1 bunch green onions .63, crusts 2.29, milk 1.00, cheese 2.00.
Prep time was about 45 min for cooking sausage and mixing etc. 50 min baking time.

ENJOY - I hope you like the new feature!!!

1 comment:

Bezzie said...

Oh yum!!! Although mine would look worse than your "sad" one!